They may have been the victim of an abusive dental practice.
We know of many complaints by parents of children who were treated at Kool Smiles dental clinics, in Texas and elsewhere. We believe that Kool Smiles is an abusive dental clinic that is defrauding Medicaid and American taxpayers out of millions of dollars each year.
What is Kool Smiles?
Based in the Greater Atlanta area, Kool Smiles is a corporate-owned and controlled dental clinic that targets children in lower-income communities who qualify for Medicaid. These clinics operate over 100 offices located in Washington D.C. and 16 states across the country.
In 2007, Kool Smiles was accused of overtreating its child patients, and there were also allegations that the clinics were strapping children down during dental procedures.* These allegations resulted in Kool Smiles loosing its ability to do Medicaid work in its own home state of Georgia. A report from WellCare Health Plans** indicated that Kool Smiles clinics were performing 17 percent more procedures per patient than other dentists who bill Medicaid for reimbursement.
According to the WellCare report, children who were patients of Kool Smiles were four times more likely to receive five or more crowns, forty percent more likely to have their teeth extracted, and three times more likely to be physically restrained during dental procedures.
Signs of abuse
Your child may have suffered abuse at a corporate-owned and operated dental facility if they experienced any of the following:
- Unnecessary and improper dental procedures such as root canals or crowns on their non-permanent baby teeth
- Improperly performed root canals that require additional dental care to avoid infections or other complications
- Forced restraint by use of a papoose board, a straightjacket-like device that prevents the child from moving their arms or legs
- Had an accident or soiled their clothing during their dental treatment
- Fillings that have fallen out, poorly fitting crowns, and dental caps that have come off following their procedures
- Night terrors and difficulty sleeping since their dental visit
If you believe that your child received improper dental treatment at a Kool Smiles dental clinic, we would like to hear from you. Contact us using the form at the top of this page. Or you can reach us by phone at 800.677.7095.